• Call (800) 479-6583
  • Mon-Fri 8am-5pm
  • |
  • Sat 9am-5pm
Menu

Bromadiolone

Bromadiolone is a key active ingredient used in a number of special rodenticide bait products to treat for mice and rats. Unlike most rat poisons, which are slow acting when it comes to their lethal effect, bromadiolone has the ability to kill rodents as quickly as within the span of 24 hours.

According to the National Pesticide Information Center, there are over 130 registered products in the US which contain this bromadiolone. Solutions Pest & Lawn is proud to carry products containing this powerful active ingredient. On this page, you can learn more about this chemical and why it works so effectively to kill even the toughest rodent infestations as well as shop the bromadiolone contained products we have in our inventory.

What is Bromadiolone?

Bromadiolone is a potent anticoagulant rodenticide which is used in a number of rodenticide products on the pest control market. Bromadiolone comes in a variety of different formulations including baits, mini pellets, paraffin blocks, tracking powders, concentrates, and dusts. 

Initially registered in the United States in 1980, Bromadiolone is an odorless powder that is white to yellow in color. Bromadiolone is the main ingredient in the products Contrac Blox and Contrac Pellets manufactured by Bell Labs. Bromadiolone has been called a "super-Wayfarin" because it can eliminate rodents who are resistant to rodents. Bromadiolone is typically used to control rats and mice. 

How Bromadiolone Works

Bromadiolone is a second generation anticoagulant that has a mode of action which prevents the clotting of blood by decreasing Vitamin K levels in the blood. By preventing the body from recycling vitamin K which is needed to clot blood. Once an infected rodent runs out of vitamin K they ultimately die by bleeding to death internally. It can take several days for the body’s stores of vitamin K to be exhausted.  Anticoagulants were originally discovered as naturally occurring in moldy sweet clover hay in the 1940s. Related compounds were later synthesized by pharmaceutical companies to produce a range of second generation anticoagulants that are more potent. 

Once bromadiolone is ingested, Bromadiolone absorbs into the liver and interferes with the synthesis of vitamin K-dependent clotting factors. Eventually the blood ceases to clot and permeates the artery walls. The rodent dies of multiple causes related to blood loss. Vitamin K1 works as an antidote for accidental ingestion, and prolonged treatment is required because it has a long half life (up to several months). Bromadiolone eliminates rats in a matter of days.

View our selection of bromadiolone formulated products below. For more information about bromadiolone or other active ingredients in our pesticides, please call us with your questions at 800-479-6583 or email us at askapro@solutionsstores.com


Where is Bromadiolone used?

Bromadiolone can successfully be used to control stubborn rodent infestations such as Norway rats, roof rats, mice, field rodents, opossums, and raccoons. It can be applied inside and outside of industrial buildings and homes, in outdoor alleys, port terminals, sewers, farmhouses, grain stores, factories, fields, and transport vehicles such as trains, ships, and aircraft.

 

In most areas, a tamper resistant bait station is required by law to avoid accidental poisoning of humans and unintended species.

 

Is Bromadiolone Safe To Use?

Bromadiolone is safe to use with the proper safety precautions put into place. We highly recommend when applying bromadiolone based rodenticide baits to the area to use a tamper resistant bait station which we also sell. Bromadiolone is highly toxic to humans, pets, and other wildlife including fish and birds. Products which contain this active ingredient should be handled carefully and as directed.

 

Bromadiolone has a long shelf life, causing it to remain active for several months. Bromadiolone should be kept away from children and pets. Gloves should be worn during treatment, make sure to wash hands after handling the bait, and avoid all contact with the mouth. Do not allow the bait to contaminate food or water supplies. In case of accidental ingestion, call the Center for Poison Control and a doctor immediately. If accidently ingested, it is required to be prolonged treatment with Vitamin K1 is required to recover from poisonings.

Contact Us

x